Click here to access a Word document containing some famous opening lines and a few discussion questions, and then suggestions at the end for starting creative pieces (i.e. for AQA Paper 1, Q5). Novels listed below.
- City of Glass, by Paul Auster
- Beloved, by Toni Morrison
- The Unnamable, by Samuel Beckett
- Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
- The Colour Purple, by Alice Walker
- The Go-Between, by L. P. Hartley
- Herzog, by Saul Bellow
- The Secret History, by Donna Tartt
- Cat’s Eye, by Margaret Attwood
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist, by Mohsin Hamid
- The Trial, by Franz Kafka
And here are the suggestions…
Hope the stuff’s useful. Feedback always welcome and I always enjoy hearing how the resources used.
Here are some more resources you might like:
Search all of Doug’s resources here:
If you use the site regularly, it’d be great if you could make a small donation to help pay for the running of it. Any amount would be greatly appreciated.