Using an Excel template, I’ve put together retrieval question generators on four of the GCSE...
Click on the link above to access a booklet that contains ten proof-reading tasks on the texts below.
- The Road, by Cormac McCarthy
- Cider with Rosie, by Laurie Lee
- The Two Towers, by J. R. R. Tolkien
- The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood
- Small Island, by Andrea Levy
- The Company of Wolves, by Angela Carter
- The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller
- NW, by Zadie Smith
- All the Pretty Horses, by Cormac McCarthy
- Wide Sargasso Sea, by Jean Rhys
The format’s really simple: there’s a single literacy error on each line of each extract, so all students need to do is identify and correct them. The tasks are probably most useful for GCSE English Language work – for starter activities and so on. Like with the literary snapshots booklet, the extracts will hopefully provide students with an introduction to some really interesting and diverse literary fiction that they might not have encountered before.